11 Oct ION North America Regional Conference 2018
ION North America Regional Conference
Orlando, September 17-19, 2018
ION North America had its annual conference in Orlando, September 17-19. It was well-attended, with 175 people from across the US, and several internationals including key members of the ION International leadership team. These individuals represented diverse ministries and over one-half were first-time attendees.
The conference theme was: Orality: Many Applications – One Mandate. The theme was addressed through a variety of practical workshops, several deaf attendees with sign language interpreters, discussion on trauma healing, and three different sessions about the Gateways.
Dr. Joel Hunter (former senior pastor of a major church in Orlando), was the opening night keynote speaker and Steve Douglass (president of Cru) closed with a challenge. Also featured was a “dinner with a speaker” and a Young Leaders Mixer, where young people shared about their interests, and ways to have more representation in future workshops and sharing in the general sessions. Another new component that was well received was “a minute at the mic,” where attendees, including 11 exhibitors, were given the opportunity to share their ministries, interests, and stories of how orality principles have been implemented in their work.
Highlights from the conference from participants’ feedback :
- Opportunities to network and explore partnerships; very practical workshops and Gateway sessions
- Opportunity to learn from and collaborate with like-minded individuals
- Hearing different storying styles, orality resources, and learning how oral learners process things
- Great to see the deaf community participate
- A high representation of women in leadership
- The focus on prayer and a dedicated prayer room with two sessions on developing a prayer strategy
- The use of the PrayerCast videos
- Hearing what the Lord is doing in many different places in many different ministries